Laughlin Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > 86th Flying Training Squadron

86TH FLYING TRAINING SQUADRON

Posted 7/9/2014 Printable Fact Sheet

The 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, conducts the T-1A Jayhawk flying training portion of Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training.

The 86th FTS traces its lineage to the 86th Bombardment Squadron, Light, which was desginated on November 20, 1940, activated on January 15, 1941 and stationed at McChord Field, Washington. Its mission was mainly anti-submarine patrols with the B-18 Bolo, its primary aircraft. In the six years that followed, the 86th traveled to all parts of the world earning a proud history. The mission was expanded to include training personnel for overseas duty and combat operations.

In 1942, the 86th started its journey through various parts of Europe and North Africa. It was stationed in approximately 20 different locations including French-Morocco in 1942, Conrobert, Algeria in 1943, and Salon, France in 1944. The 86th supported combat operations with the DB-7, A-20 Havoc, and A-26 Invader aircrafts. The 86th Bombardment Squadron received numerous campaign streamers and the Distinguished Unit Citation in 1943 and 1945.

The 86th returned to the United States in 1945 to begin training in support of a new mission of night tactical operations. Stationed at Briggs Fields, Texas, in 1946, and then moved to Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, in 1948, the 86th was redesignated the 86th Bombardment Squadron, Light, Jet, flying the A-26 and then B-45 aircraft. With the slowdown of military operations, the 86th was deactivated in October 1949.

On 23 March 1954, the 86th Bombardment Squadron, Light, jet was reactivated. It was stationed at Sculthorpe Royal Air Force Station and Alconbury Royal Air Force station, England, flying the B-45 and B-66 aircraft. On 1 October 1955, the 86th was redesigned as the 86th Bombardment Squadron, Tactical. The 86th remained in England, maintaining proficiency in a variety of tactical operations and was awarded the Air Force Unit Citation for operations from July 1958 to June 1960. On June 22 1962, the 86th distinguished itself by acquiring 11 campaign streamers and three Distinguished Unit Citations.

On March 22, 1972, the squadron was re-designated the 86th Flying Training Squadron, replacing the 3646th Pilot Training Squadron at Laughlin Air Force Base. Since 1972, the 86th has been an active squadron training student pilots. From 1976 to 1979, the squadron trained Strategic Air Command Co-pilots in the Accelerated Copilot Enrichment program. The squadron was deactivated in September 1992. During its 20 years as a pilot training squadron, the 86th Flying Training Squadron earned five Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards.

On February 17, 1994, the 86th FTS was reactivated at Laughlin Air Force Base. The training mission continues utilizing the T-1A as part of SUPT airlift-tanker-bomber track part of training.

(Current as of July 2014)


47th Flying Training Wing, Public Affairs 561 Liberty Drive, Suite 3
Laughlin AFB, Texas 78843-5227; Phone: (830) 298-5980; Fax: (830) 298-5047





 Inside Laughlin

ima cornerSearch

ima cornerOrganizations

 




Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act